My top 5 reasons why children don’t get enough exercise
One thing that I have come to realize in my years of teaching is that if something is not going as planned there is a reason behind it.
1. Time – Parents often feel like there is not enough time in the day to incorporate physical activity into their schedules.
2. Money – Some families find after school programs expensive and enrolling them on recreation sports teams costly.
3. Technology – At one point the only thing we had to worry about was too much TV, but now with the advancement of technology we now have to compete with social media, gaming, and cellular devices attempting to replace physical activity.
4. Space – An area to participate is always a problem, even as a physical education teacher I often have to relocate to accommodate another program or event that is taking place in my area. For families lack of space can mean lack of access to a back yard or park or recreation center.
5. They hate it – Yes, it’s true, believe it or not, there are some children who do not particularly care for physical activity. This can be for many reasons, the activities chosen are not fun to them or they don’t truly understand the benefits of physical activity.
Together we can help to overcome this epidemic that is affecting our young people.